The Santa Special (Super-Secret Blitzen-Sized Christmas Cookies).
Shhhhh… Are you here for Mrs. Claus’ super-secret and very delicious Blitzen-sized Christmas cookie? These super cute, fluffy, and dense cookies probably won’t be super-secret for long, but we promise they will be yummy forever!
- 2 and a 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and a 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, browned
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or paste if you like speckles in your cookies
- Chocolate-covered Pretzels (We Love Utz but you can use Hershey’s, or Flips or even make your own.)
- Holiday Colored M&Ms (pick your favorite, Regular, Peanut, Mint or even Sugar Cookie)
- Cookie Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Cooling Rack
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In a saucepan melt and simmer the butter until the milk proteins separate and turn into a golden brown - Once browned take the butter off the burner, let it cool and begin to resolidify
- In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat granulated sugar, cream cheese, and 1/2 cup browned butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for about 1 minute or until fluffy; scrape the side of the bowl. Beat in egg just until smooth. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or paste. At low speed, beat flour mixture into sugar mixture until well blended. Cover and refrigerate for about 15 minutes.
- Shape dough into 36 (1 inch) ball shapes that you will press together to form into figure 8 or peanut type shapes. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased, parchment paper prepped cookie sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes or until edges are set and slightly golden. (Tip: we suggest making these cookies in smaller batches, about 10-12 at a time)
- Once removed from the oven, quickly affix a red M&M to the center of the bottom circle and Chocolate pretzels to the top corners, and finally 2 green or white ones as eyes in the top center! Ovoid the hot edge of the pan Cool for 2 minutes and then move from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Cool completely for about 15 minutes and enjoy with a glass of milk!